Founded in 1895 by Lord Aschcomb, owner of a 160 hectares wooded land, the Golf Valescure can pride itself on
being the oldest course in the Var, the second of the French Riviera after Cannes-Mandelieu and the fifth of all the hexagon. Located in a woodland of Pines, the course, until 1931, retained all the English influence. Up to 95% of the Members of the Golf Club are British, often retired of the Indian Army /Commonwealth and live in the villas built on the grounds of Lord Rendel and Lord Aschcomb. The club house, that was part of the Universal Exhibition of Paris in 1900, was the flag of Norway. It was dismantled, transported to Saint-Raphael, and rebuilt in Valescure.
The design of this course, near a golf course in the UK, has the distinction of offering several relatively short holes which, at first, may make it look easy to negotiate. The impression is misleading because in fact the narrow fairways, difficult roughs, many water hazards and smallish greens are all elements that require constant reflection and wisdom in the choice of clubs. Accuracy is more important than length.